Tuesday, December 18, 2012

And. I'm back.

 It has been a rough and hectic couple of months for me as some of you may know. While I am writing none of this to gather sympathy, I feel the need to put it out there in the world, as part of letting go and moving on.  My dog, Zoe, whom has been with me through college, single life, marriage, and motherhood passed away in September, heart wrenching.  Shortly after we discovered I was pregnant, only to find out a month later that it ended in a miscarriage. Words just can't describe how hard a miscarriage is, both physically and mentally.   In light of recent events, I know my problems are hardly much to talk about and I have SO much to be thankful for. I lead a beautiful and blessed life.  And so it's time to get back to being me, talking food, finding joy and happiness in the little things, and enjoying life.  


                                  Panzanella with Mediterranean Flair

To kickstart my return to blogging I made an easy and versatile salad.  It would make a wonderful side dish with your holiday meal or light lunch/dinner.  I hope you enjoy!


For the *Vinaigrette:
2t. dijon
zest of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, grated
4T. olive oil
2T. lemon juice
salt/pepper
2t. honey
*make sure to taste for seasoning!

For the Salad:
1/2-3/4 of day old baguette cut into 1" cubes
2T. olive oil
salt/pepper
1 avacado, sliced
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 english cucumber, diced
8oz arugula
1/4 cup chopped parsley
4 soft boiled eggs, halved or diced (add eggs into cold water, heat to boil, turn off stove and cover for 7 minutes, cool eggs to stop the cooking)
 

Add all the vinaigrette ingredients into a jar with tight fitting lid, shake vigorously until combined.  In a large sauté pan add olive oil and bread cubes, season with salt and pepper.  Coat bread with oil and cook until it becomes crunchy and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.  In a large salad bowl combine all of the salad ingredients, including the bread, and toss with as much vinaigrette as you like.     








4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the miscarriage Katie. I know from far too much experience how rough that is. I'm glad to see you back in the blogging saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I was just scrolling through your recipes and admiring them when I came across this news. I'm very sorry for your loss! You're attitude and motivation as you move forward are truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete