Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Beer Battered Green Bean Bundles


I am still not sure how this happened…while discussing our options for dinner last night, (veggie pizza, or soup) I was somehow coaxed into making fried green beans for an appetizer.  Now, appetizers are not coming place in our house (unless we are entertaining) and I rarely pour a quart of oil in a pan to cook our food, but what can I say?  I admit I was a bit intrigued how they'd turn out and had a ton of green beans in the fridge that needed to be eaten, like, yesterday. And so, Monday night appetizers were had.  They were, in a word, amazing, and a perfect addition to some Monday Night Football.  I saved the oil and plan on making beet chips later this week... the deep frying gods are calling my name!  Let's hope I don't make a habit out of this.  


Batter and Bundles



The Finished Product, Complete with Sriracha Mayo


1 quart oil ( I used canola, but any high heat oil will work)
1 lb green beans (steamed to crisp tender)
1 c. beer
1 c. flour
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
2 T. mayo
1/2 t. sriracha
toothpicks



Heat oil in a large pot to 375 degrees (a candy thermometer comes in very handy here).  Meanwhile string about 5 green beans on each toothpick until you have them all bundled.  Whisk the beer, flour, salt and pepper together in a large bowl (should be consistency of pancake batter, add more flour or beer if needed).  Once the oil has heated, dip the bundles in the batter, draining off any excess and set gently in oil.  Let cook until batter turns golden, about 5 minutes, turning at least once.  Take out of oil with a spider instrument and set on a paper towel lined plate.  Season with salt.  Mix the mayo and sriracha for a quick and tasty dip.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment