Friday, March 1, 2013

Apple Cider Chicken

I saw this recipe on America's Test Kitchen a few weeks back. You know, that TV show on PBS with the akward guy in a bowtie?  Well I have to say I quite enjoy the show, but actually getting the recipe online is near impossible.  You have to sign up for a "free" 15 day trial, then if you forget to cancel, guess what?  You are the lucky winner of their magazine along with a big fat bill of $25 for 6 issues.  Let me tell you, this infuriates me, I despise being taken advantage of. You should have seen me in Rome when a cute Italian guy made me a bracelet and then demanded money for it, boy was I pissed. Whew, sorry for the rant, I digress.  While I will always be a supporter of PBS, America's Test Kitchen has left a rancid taste in my mouth.  Therefore I decided to take this apple cider chicken recipe into my own hands and recreate it.  My chicken dish is delightful.  Crunchy skin, juicy meat and sweet sauce with soft succulent apple chunks.  I encourage you to try it, no charge.




**Ingredients

1 whole chicken cut up- bone in, skin on, split into 4 breast halves, 2 thighs and 2 legs 
*learn how to break down a chicken here (save the rest for chicken stock) If you'd rather, you can use all thighs, breasts or legs as long as they are bone in, skin on.

Olive oil
1 small onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. dried thyme
1 1/2 c. apple cider
3T. cognac or brandy
2 small apples, diced into bite sized chunks (I used Fuji)
1T. apple cider vinegar
1T. butter (optional)
salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Pat all chicken parts dry with paper towels (this insures crispy skin) and liberally salt and pepper each side.  Heat a 12" nonstick, oven proof skillet on med high heat with 1T. of olive oil.  Add chicken skin side down (pan should sizzle when doing this, if not, it's not hot enough). Let chicken cook for about 10 min on the skin side to get extra crispy.  Flip and cook other side of chicken for about 5 minues.  Remove chicken and set aside.  Drain some of the fat off from the skillet, you'll need about 1T. of fat left in the pan.  Add onions, garlic and thyme and cook until onions are soft, stirring often.  Add cider and brandy, salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil letting mixture reduce 5 minutes and slightly thickened.  Return chicken to the pan, skin side up (liquid should not come up above the chicken skin) and add the apples to the pan. Put skillet in the oven and cook until chicken is cook through, about 10-15 minutes (or until instant thermometer reads 160 degrees).  Take chicken out of the liquid and let rest for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile whisk vinegar and butter into the skillet.  Serve chicken with a heaping spoonful of the cider and apple mixure, enjoy!

**Like most of my recipes, specific measuring is not my forte, so I encourage you to taste as you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment