Sunday, August 26, 2012

Soup's On!




It is hard to believe that Fall is just around the corner.  Here in Denver we had a little glimpse of fall weather this past week; overcast, cool and breezy.  It gave me just the inspiration I needed to cozy up with a nice bowl of soup and crisp bread.   All of the flavors of summer, and my garden, show up in this soup, making it a perfect end of season meal.  



Vegetable and White Bean Soup

Soups are so versatile, I encourage you to add/subtract whatever you desire into this soup. 

Working with a large stock pot or dutch oven, I sautéed onion, carrot, celery, yellow squash, diced tomatoes and garlic with olive oil salt and pepper until the onions became soft and translucent. Add around 6 cups of chicken stock t o the veggies and bring to a simmer.  I added a bundle of herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage tied up with kitchen string) to the pot.  Once the soup comes to a simmer add fresh cut green beans (cut into 1" pieces).  Allow the soup to simmer away until the carrots and green beans are tender, add a 15oz can of white beans (I used navy beans) and heat through. Serve with baked country bread and parmesan. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment